University Extends Pass/Fail Grading Option

The spring 2020 semester has presented many unprecedented circumstances for Central Methodist University’s students, faculty, and staff as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak.

“Our students’ lives have been disrupted,” said Provost Rita Gulstad. “They have been torn from their friends, their teams, and their faculty. To expect them to be able to put forward their best effort toward academics cannot be expected.”

In recognition of these challenges and out of compassion for its students, CMU has modified its grading options for the spring 2020 semester. This policy modification is for the spring 2020 semester only and does not apply to courses that ended prior to March 16, 2020.

Once grades have been posted at the end of the semester, all undergraduate students will have the opportunity to elect to convert their spring course grades to Pass/Withdrawal. Students will be able to select the Pass/Withdrawal option from Monday, May 18, 2020 at 8 a.m. through Friday, May 29, 2020 at 5 p.m. (CDT).

“When the needs of physical/mental health, family and survival are a priority, it is difficult to ask students to place school at the same level,” Gulstad said. “CMU faculty hold their students in high regard and believe that the offering of the changed grading system is the right choice.”

All students are encouraged to discuss the implications of selecting the Pass or Withdrawal for course(s) with their academic advisor and other university offices (e.g., Financial Aid, Veteran’s Services, International Services, Athletics, Business Office). Additionally, students enrolled in programs with additional licensure and accreditation expectations should work closely with their program director to ensure they are adequately informed.

Basic principles of the Pass/Withdrawal option include the following:

  • A student may elect to earn a grade of Pass “P” in any course they earned an assigned letter grade of A, B, or C. The “P” grade receives course credit but does not impact GPA.
  • A student may elect to Withdraw “W” from any course in which they earned an assigned letter grade of D or F. The “W” does not receive course credit or impact GPA.
  • The course instructor will enter the appropriate letter grade (A/B/C, etc.) in the grade roster on myCMU at the end of the semester, as is the normal procedure.
  • Once the student chooses the P/W option after the course letter grade is submitted, the grade will be converted on the student's transcript.
  • Grade changes will not be automatic. Students must complete the online form for a change to be made.

    Students are encouraged to visit the FAQ page to learn more about this option and consult with an advisor to make the best decision for their individual situation.

Learn More
Apply Now